Hello everyone! I wanted to give you guys an update on Kenai since he has finally started to make a turn for the better after many weeks of struggling. My last post on Kenai can be read here.
Lisa recently posted on her YouCaring.com site that there is still hope…
“Softy Face” continued to have a rough time the past few days and stopped eating again. I took him to the vet yesterday and when we weighed him we realized that he had lost another pound. The vet was very concerned with his continued weight loss and was in agreement with me that he could not continue this way until we receive the results from the Bartonella test in the next 1-3 weeks.
After doing much research and speaking to my vet as well as the neurologist; there is only a slim chance that the Bartonella test will come back positive since it is such a rare disease and not usually seen on the West Coast. We had all hoped that we could have all of the answers back and completely rule out an infectious disease prior to going to the next step, but that was not possible. If the Bartonella test comes back negative, we were going to have to assume that this was a rare autoimmune disease attacking his spinal cord. The treatment for this would be steroid (Prednisone) treatment. Normally, we would have just tried this from the start to see if it worked; but steroids would have been very bad for him if this did turn out to be an infectious disease. Steroids reduce the body’s ability to fight infections which would make his ability to recover from and infectious disease nearly impossible. This is why we have been trying to test for and rule everything out before going this route.
Unfortunately, his quality of life was greatly suffering and his continued rapid weight loss did not make waiting for these answers possible. So, we had to make a somewhat risky judgement call based what rare condition we think he is more likely to have. We decided to start steroid treatment and so far he has received 2 steroid injections.
I am happy to say that he seems to be doing a bit better. He is still pretty lethargic, but he has been through a lot so this is expected. He has eaten more in the past 36 hours than he has in days. He goes back to the vet tomorrow for an exam and to make a plan until we get the Bartonella results back. I really hope that this upswing proves that we made the right decision, but only time will tell.
On a positive note, he did pick up and play with his favorite stuffed pig toy, which he hasn’t done in weeks. I posted a brief video of him carrying it around (sorry it is so dark). He also took advantage of sleeping on top of some dog beds I piled up while I was cleaning. I know this doesn’t sound like much, but this is more personality than he has exuded in awhile. It makes me very hopeful that we are getting our Softy Face back! Thank you again for all of your support!”
I saw Kenai on Saturday and I can say that his tail still wags despite all that he has been through, and he has been a great example of how resilient pets can be.
Please continue to share Kenai’s story if you can. 🙂
Also, we have the winner of the PetPaint giveaway and the winner is……
Rachel and Dobby from His Muddy Paw Prints! Please go check out their blog when you get a chance.
Have a wonderful day everyone!