This past weekend, I was lucky enough to attend BlogPaws 2014 Conference in Lake Las Vegas. Not only was it so fun, but I learned so much, and was able to make so many great connections!
One of which was the Pet Poison Helpline which offers the most cost effective animal poison control center option for pet parents at $39.
The reason I want to discuss poisons in your purse, is that Rooney took it upon himself the other morning to jump up on the couch, drink a bunch of coffee, and then raid my purse and eat my chapstick.
Now, I am fortunate to have Rooney’s veterinarian also be my best friend so I called her up to make sure that he would be okay at home while I went to work, and he was.
However, this got me thinking about a couple things:
1. The chapstick I had was not poisonous to Rooney, but what else in my purse could be harmful to him?
2. If I couldn’t get ahold of his vet, who else can I call?
This weekend, I received a many handouts from Pet Poison Helpline that shared with me the top 10 toxins for dogs and cats. Although I don’t keep any of these in my purse, because I do leave it on the floor, many pet parents may not realize how dangerous their purse can be!
The Top 10 toxins for Dogs:
2) Mouse and Rat Poisons
3) Vitamins & Minerals
4) Human and veterinary pain relievers
5) Heart Medications
6) Cold and allergy medications
8) Xylitol (i.e. sugar free gum)
9) Acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol)
10) Caffeine Pills
The Top 10 toxins for Cats:
1) Topical spot-on insecticides
2) Household cleaners
5) Insoluble oxalate plants
6) Human and veterinary pain relievers
7) Acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol)
8) Glow Sticks
9) ADD/ADHD medications
10) Mouse and rat poisons
Looking over this list, you can see that there are quite a few poisons that can be hiding in your purse!
The most surprising to pet parents is usually Xylitol, which can cause liver failure, hypoglycemia and death (VCA Animal Hospitals). Xylitol toxicity requires aggressive veterinary treatment.
Besides sugar free gum, Xylitol can be found in Axia3 ProDigestive Antacid, Children’s Allegra Oral Suspension, Fleet Children’s Pedia-Lax Liquid Stool Softener, and Umcka Cold and Flu Chewable tablets, among many other products.
If you every become concerned that your pet has ingested sugar free gum, or any other product containing xylitol (there are many others), please call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800.213.6680 and seek your veterinarian or local emergency clinic. (Additional incentive: the sooner you treat your pet, the more likely your veterinary bill will be less expensive)
Pet Poison Helpline provides 24/7 access to veterinary toxicology experts and the price of consultation also includes free follow ups.
I urge every pet parent to take the time to check out their website where they have so much useful information. They have also added an iphone app, which provides a comprehensive database of poisons with descriptions AND color photos which is very helpful for identifying poisonous plants (available for $1.99).
Their website also provides you with information to build a pet safety kit to help prepare your home for pet toxicity.
In order to avoid the heavy financial burden that can arise from pet poison incidences, please consider enrolling your pet in pet insurance. I myself, have Rooney enrolled in Trupanion, and you can receive a free quote by clicking on the Trupanion photo in the sidebar.
Please share below if you and your pets have experienced emergencies due to toxicity.
Disclaimer: The above information was sourced from Pet Poison Helpline and VCA Animal Hospital website.