PetSmart Charities: What You Didn’t Already Know

petsmart_charities

Did you know that PetSmart Charities has added satellite adoption centers to some of their existing adoption center locations in the U.S.?

Well they have, and it is all part of their PetSmart Charities Everyday Adoption Center campaign.

PetSmart Charities, Inc. is a non profit animal welfare organization that works to save the lives of homeless pets. You may already be familiar with their work, since PetSmart Charities holds adoption events in PetSmart stores all over the U.S. that help local rescues and shelters bring their available pets in front of potential adopters.

PetSmart Charities has been so successful that they account for 10% of the all pet adoptions in North America!

They aren’t stopping there, they have now added Everyday Adoption Centers to their program at some of their U.S. locations.

Why is this such a good thing?

Beyond increasing the amount of space available for animals to be rescued, typically rescues and shelters find it difficult to get people to visit their facilities because many people are afraid to see a pet in a cage or pen because it makes them feel sad. This is why PetSmart Charities started hosting adoption events.

Now, as opposed to weekend, or scheduled events, there will be both cats and dogs available for adoption in these Everyday Adoption Centers everyday!

Each EAC location works with a local rescue or shelter to fill the space with available dogs and cats, in addition to staffing the location during PetSmart store hours of operation.

Each center is about 2400 square feet which includes meet and greet room, play and socialize room, and a utility room for food and maintenance.

Each location can hold up to 20 dogs and 16 cats. Right now the average adoption rate of each EAC location is 30 adoptions per month!

How can you get involved?

You can donate to PetSmart Charities

PetSmart Charities has partnered with VolunteerMatch to help volunteers find local shelters near them.

You can give a pet a forever home through their adoption site, here

…and everyone can spread the word about how great rescue pets are!

Keep your eyes and ears peeled for a new Everyday Adoption Center near you and please get involved with PetSmart Charities!

MKHPPetSmartChairities

July 1, 2014 at 9:12 am

We absolutely LOVE PetSmart Charities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post!!
    Caren Gittleman recently posted…Dog Horoscopes: for Leo and Cancer July 2014My Profile

July 2, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Thank you Caren! We too loved meeting with PetSmart Charities! I think it is a great idea, especially for a company with so much pull.

Golden Woofs: Sugar
    July 1, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Great organization. They provide help to our TD group. Golden Woofs
    Golden Woofs: Sugar recently posted…Watermelon Blueberry Star PopsicleMy Profile

July 2, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Oh that is awesome! I am so glad!

July 1, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I really enjoyed meeting the people from PetSmart Charities at BlogPaws. I’ve done a post on them and the great work they do too. I hope that we get one of the new satellite adoption centers here! ♥♥
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Basset Hounds 101My Profile

July 2, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I do too!! I can only imagine the type of space relief one of these places can provide for a local shelter or rescue.

Kyla
    July 1, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Little Kali is a PetSmart adoptee. The peeps, Kaci and I went down to the Humane Society shelter in January to (ugggh) pick out my replacement to keep Kaci with a canine friend. There was a Scottie in need at the Humane Society that we wanted to see and you know how They love Scotties It turned out that the Scottie was not what was expected-he wouldn’t play or interract with Kaci or me. Someone else wanted him and we let her have him. On the way home, we stopped at the PetSmart that’s only a five minute walk from PetSmart world HQ. We brought home a dog, but not the one we set out to get. Kali is the “WILD CHILD” but we can handle that and we welcome and adore her. I’m a resdcue and both Kaci and Kali were on death row in kill shelters.
    Kyla recently posted…Summertime-and the living is queasy.My Profile

July 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Wow, your family has done sooo much rescuing which is awesome!! When we got Rooney we originally applied for a different Corgi, but then he came to the rescue and he was a perfect fit for us, and still is. He is a bit of a wild child at times too, but he has soo much personality that he just cracks me up lol

Kyla
        July 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Kali was adopted and returned because she was way too active. She is active! If we turned her back in…

That wasn’t gonna happen. She is actually a very loving dog and slowly calming down.
        Kyla recently posted…Summertime-and the living is queasy.My Profile