National Hug Your Dog Day: How Your Dog Makes You Healthier

hug your dog

Today is National Hug Your Dog Day!

Do you ever just stop and give your dog a hug?

Does your dog like to be hugged? I have had dogs in the past that don’t particularly prefer a hug, they preferred to have you just spend time with them.

Either way, I want to talk about how hugging, or spending time with your dog, can improve your health!

1. Your Dog Decreases Your Chances of Heart Disease

WebMD states that dog owners have a tendency to walk more and have lower blood pressure. Additionally, studies have shown that people with heart problems, who own dogs, have a tendency to live longer than those people with heart problems, who don’t own dogs.

2. Your Dog Can Reduce Your Stress

The act of petting your dog, or cat, can help lower your blood pressure, and reduce your stress levels (WebMD).

3. Human Socialization

Dogs help people connect with other dog people. Walking with your dog can lead to more conversations with other people, ultimately making you more social (WebMD).

4. You May Be a Happier Person

According to WebMD, people with pets are generally happier, more trusting, and more social!

Tell me, how does your dog make you healthier?

Jessica Shipman | Beagles and Bargains
    April 10, 2015 at 12:25 pm

How perfect! I was just talking about how I need work to be over and head home, so I can hug Luna! She definitely makes long days better!
    Jessica Shipman | Beagles and Bargains recently posted…Indoor Plants That Are Non-Toxic to DogsMy Profile

Robin
    April 10, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Happy hug your dog day! Give your dog a hug for me since I don’t have a dog to hug ๐Ÿ™‚ The health benefits of owning a pet are just amazing.
    Robin recently posted…The Norwegian Forest CatMy Profile

Carol Bryant
    April 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Okay I am going to hug my dog and my neighbor’s dog right now – thanks for the info!
    Carol Bryant recently posted…Dog Lovers of the Highest Order Merchandise and TourMy Profile

Fur Everywhere
    April 10, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Pets definitely benefit our health in many ways. Carmine doesn’t like being hugged, but he likes to sit near me and be pet and Milita will let me hug her all day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen Gabbard
    April 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I certainly don’t doubt that us dog owners walk more; just thinking about what Laika would be like without her two daily walks (plus other games/activities) is frightening. After a long day at work there’s nothing that compares to the joy I feel as I’m greeted by a wagging tail each day. I don’t know what sort of magic they hold over us, but I know Laika sure makes me feel a lot better (and less stressed out).
    Jen Gabbard recently posted…Roundup #9: Our Favorite Dog Stories of the WeekMy Profile

April 10, 2015 at 10:12 pm

The humans are healthier because of the exercise they get picking up dog poo.
    Kismet recently posted…Donโ€™t Finish that Bottle of WineMy Profile

Amanda
    April 10, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Wynston is weird. He LOVES to cuddle and snuggle with me in bed or in my lap, but he hates when I hug him on the ground or pick him up to hug him! GRRR!
    Amanda recently posted…Earth Day Photo Contest and Giveaway!My Profile

FiveSibesMom
    April 11, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Great post! My FiveSibes sure do keep me walking and smiling and feeling love every day! They really are the best Rx!
    FiveSibesMom recently posted…A Circle of (Puppy) Love on a Flashback Friday!My Profile

Groovy Goldendoodles
    April 11, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Hugging them now – thanks!

April 11, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Bentley and Pierre both loved to be hugged, but Bentley hugs back. โ™ฅ Email me more information on the webinar. Do you know what we will be doing?
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Blessings with #52Snapshots of LifeMy Profile

MyDogLikes
    April 12, 2015 at 8:00 am

Of course!!! Hugging makes everyone feel better! The fact that it actually makes us healthier makes sense to us!
    MyDogLikes recently posted…CoolBlue Conditioning: Keeping it Cool!My Profile

Carleen
    April 12, 2015 at 8:55 am

Everyday should be hug your pet day! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Carleen recently posted…Dog JokeMy Profile

Faith Ellerbe, Live.Wag.BARK!
    April 13, 2015 at 9:08 pm

1 out of my 4 does NOT like to be hugged. I agree 100% that dogs make you happier and healthier! With high energy dogs like mine, I have to get out and exercise them or they will become bored and very destructive. So even if I am feeling lazy, I am reminded that if not for me, for my dog, I need to get up, get out and exercise. They have also opened me to a variety of outdoor activities I never did in the past like hiking! I love it now…
    Faith Ellerbe, Live.Wag.BARK! recently posted…10 Tips For Gardening With DogsMy Profile