TriPawds: A Journey from Cancer Diagnosis to Inspirational Community

Every now and again we would have a patient visit the veterinary hospital who only had three legs. I remember one patient specifically, Samantha. She was a beautiful Queensland/Australian Shepherd Mix who was missing one of her rear legs, but was as happy as could be. The owner of this dog would often receive questions from other pet parents while waiting in the lobby. Usually to the effect of, “Can she get around okay?” or “Does she need any extra assistance to move?”. The truth was, Samantha was as happy-go-lucky as any other dog on the planet. We knew this of course, but many onlookers and other pet parents were curious. This very situation is why I am so excited to tell you about Tripawds.

What is Tripawds?

Tripawds is the largest online community for three legged pets and their people. Their mission is to help pet parents whose pets may be facing amputation and/or a cancer diagnosis. Their community provides pet parents with helpful information, resources, support, discussion forums, live chat, and various other informational sources.

Why is this important?

One of the most aggressive types of cancer found in dogs is an osteosarcoma of the limb and pets all over the world are being given this diagnosis. When pet parents hear these words, they often think their options and resources are limited. However, Tripawds provides them with a community and information they are looking for. Many pet parents are unaware that pets can live long and healthy lives with less than four limbs, and their diagnosis doesn’t have to be the end to their quality of life.

How did Tripawds get started?

Well, back in 2006 Jerry, a German Shepherd, lost a limb to cancer. His parents Jim Nelson and Rene Agredano decided to start a WordPress blog in hopes their story could be helpful to other pet parents experiencing the same decisions.

Then they decided to take their story one step further and they sold their home and almost all of their belongings to purchase an RV, and traveled around the country with Jerry. They began documenting their journey and their travels through their blog. When Jerry passed away in 2008, their Tripawds community had grown to include discussion forums and a chat room. Today, the Tripawds network hosts more than 900 three legged dog and cat blogs with over 8,100 registered members.

Watch this video below to learn more about Jerry’s touching story.

Where is Tripawds today?

Today Jim and Rene travel with their German Shepherd spokesdog Wyatt, who I had the pleasure of meeting at BlogPaws. Wyatt became a Tripawd as a puppy due to neglect, but now lives a full life traveling the country.

Wyatt from Tripawds

In 2014 the new Tripawds Foundation officially received 501c3 status. Their mission continues to help amputee pets and their people everywhere. Their information remains free and available to anyone who needs it. Additionally they have added a toll-free helpline that is staffed with volunteers to help people whose dog or cat is facing amputation.

How can you help?

If you work for a veterinary hospital: whether you are a veterinarian, technician, assistant, or receptionist, please .contact the Tripawds Foundation and they will provide you with free amputation patient education materials.

If you have a Tripawd pet: please share your story on their blog! Or share your blog with Tripawds. Tripawds believes that each person’s story or journey can provide support to other pet parents facing the same diagnosis. You can also find helpful products and information in the Tripawds Gear blog.

If you are a fellow pet blogger: show Tripawds your support! Jim and Rene can provide you with informative content and you will be helping this community remain online! Visit their supporters page for various other ways to support the Tripawds community!

If you are a pet parent: support Tripawds by purchasing Fitness Gear or Beds on their site. You can also follow them on their Facebook and Twitter accounts to see when they will be in a city near you!

Tell me, have you ever heard of Tripawds before?

Tom
    June 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Nice article. I want to donate let me know. Tom mcg

Jim & Rene @Tripawds
      June 18, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Thanks Tom! Please feel free to support the Tripawds Foundation at http://tripawds.org/give
      Jim & Rene @Tripawds recently posted…#UniteToFight Pet Cancer!My Profile

June 23, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Dad! I will send you a link!

Tripawds Community
    June 18, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Rachel, it was so nice seeing you at Blog Paws. Thank you so much for this awesome article about the Tripawds community! We sincerely appreciate your getting the word out. Thanks to you, many more dogs and cats (and other critters too!) will get a chance at a great life on three legs.

3-paws up to you, Rooney and the pack!
    Tripawds Community recently posted…Win Tripawds Goodie Bags!My Profile

June 23, 2015 at 2:45 pm

It was so great to meet you at BlogPaws! Always happy to help a great organization! Have a wonderful day!

June 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Kyla probably could have done well with three legs (how many legs do you really need to eat?). Unfortunately, the cancer spread throughout the entire body.
    Kismet recently posted…It was six months ago todayMy Profile

June 23, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Kyla did get to live out her last days getting lots of snacks, which I know was her favorite.

speedyrabbit
    June 18, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I’ve seen pet rabbits with only 3 legs too,and they thrive really well,great post,xx Rachel
    speedyrabbit recently posted…A Special treat as an apology!My Profile

June 23, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Speedy, you make a great point! I didn’t include rabbits in this post, but I know the Tripawd community welcomes all kinds of animals.

Susan Hammond
    June 19, 2015 at 10:54 am

The Tripawd community has helped my dog Guinness and myself so much in the past 11 months. We have been through amputation and chemo and he is still going strong. Besides euthanizing a dog, I think amputation is the hardest decision to make. I felt like the worst pet parent in the world until he hopped out to greet me the day after surgery. So many helpful hints and such a great community.

June 23, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Susan, thank you so much for sharing about your journey. I can’t imagine what you and Guinness have been through. I am so glad you have been able to find help at Tripawds.

June 19, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I have such respect for the Tripawds organization. They have raised awareness and relieved the concerns of so many pet parents facing a cancer diagnosis. Wyatt is a beautiful GSD. Thanks for a great article!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Bravo for Special MomentsMy Profile

June 23, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Melissa, Wyatt is so handsome! I love what they have been able to do, such an amazing organization!