My Top 3 Benefits of Pumpkin!

By now you have probably heard that there are some pretty awesome benefits to adding pumpkin to your diet. Of course, I am not talking about Pumpkin Spice Lattes or Pumpkin flavored Bagels (although they are both amazing). I am referring to more than pumpkin flavor, but the actual addition of pumpkin. Not only are there benefits to you and your diet, but there are so many benefits for pets as well!

Fiber: The number 1 benefit pumpkin has for pets (in my opinion) is the fiber content! What’s most amazing about the fiber benefits is that they can be three fold. When I worked at the veterinary hospital, we would often recommend adding pumpkin to the diet of a constipated dog or cat. Pumpkin also improves the digestive health of pets suffering from diarrhea or colitis. Lastly, fiber can also create a sense of fullness and improve weight loss programs for pets (PetMD).

Hydration: Pumpkin (a fruit) has high water content. The added water will provide your pet with additional hydration. This is an excellent benefit for pets who need encouragement to drink water (PetMD).

Vitamins & Nutrients: Pumpkin is rich in Vitamin C and Potassium, which supports that immune system and muscle recovery. Additionally, pumpkin is a great source of beta-carotene that according to the National Institute of Health can provide anticancer benefits (PetMD).

WeRuVa (named after rescue cats Webster, Rudi, and Vanessa) understands the benefits of pumpkin. That’s why they released their Pumpkin Patch Up recipe!

This recipe is a supplement that provides the excellent benefits of pumpkin mentioned above. This is the perfect additive to your pet’s diet (yup, good for both dogs and cats) or a nice snack! Additionally, WeRuVa’s Pumpkin recipes are available in convenient 1.5oz grab & go packages!

Not only does WeRuVa have a great pumpkin recipe just in time for Fall, but they also have their Dogs in the Kitchen recipes that would make a great addition to your dog’s upcoming Thanksgiving meal 🙂

To find a WeRuVa retailer near you, please click here for their store locator.

Weruva dogs in the Kitchen recipe

Have you ever added pumpkin to your pet’s diet before? What were the results?

Disclaimer: We received a sample of Weruva to try in exchange for our honest opinion. My Kid Has Paws only discusses products we believe are in the best interests of our readers.

Elyse Horvath
    October 29, 2015 at 3:16 pm

I wish we could get Lilly to eat pumpkin, she just turns her nose to it! 🙁 Great info though, thanks!!
    Elyse Horvath recently posted…EARoma thEARapy: different on purposeMy Profile

October 29, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Our vet recommended pumpkin and we haven’t had a rejection yet. Make sure it’s not pie filling but 100% pumpkin.
    Kismet recently posted…PerfectMy Profile

Lindsay, Matilda - Little Dog Tips
    October 29, 2015 at 9:02 pm

We’ve been meaning to try this, my dogs could use a little fiber, but they wont’ eat vegetables like carrots. I’ve got to pick up a can!
    Lindsay, Matilda – Little Dog Tips recently posted…How To Teach Your Dog To Love HalloweenMy Profile

Suzanne
    October 30, 2015 at 10:29 am

Pumpkin is a great addition for both cats and dogs. With Mary d Dog she is picky. However, If I mix these things; carrots, apples, green beans and pumpkin into her food add a little warm water (she picky about the temperature of her food too) she will eat every bit of it.

Funny how are picky pets get spoiled, but if we want them to eat the best we’ll do what we have to.

I noticed Lindsay mentioning she couldn’t get her dog to eat carrots. Mary was like this too, but I take baby carrots and use the small shredder, mix it in her food an “Wala” no problem.
    Suzanne recently posted…Stay For a While. How Good Is Your Dog’s Stay Cue?My Profile

October 30, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I have made the boys some treats and pupcakes using pumpkin and they LOVE it! I have “pinned” a bunch this season so hopefully they can enjoy many more goodies.
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…The Night Before Halloween StoryMy Profile

jeanaann barnaby
    November 11, 2015 at 8:08 am

Many years ago as a young Animal Care Supervisor at a local Animal Hospital & Humane Society I learned about the benefits of pumpkin. It was always the go to for animals that were having problems with constipation or hairballs. I have never seen an animal turn up their nose from the delicious taste of pumpkin. Since then I tell all my clients to keep a can on hand. I’m thrilled to see Veterinarians, Animal Care Practitioners & pet stores advocating & selling pumpkin products. 🙂