Valley Fire Has Left These Kittens in Need of Your Help

The recent Valley Fire in Northern California has left many pets in need of care and homes.

As of today, the fire is 97% contained. However, the damage has already been done. Many pets were lost and so many people and animals are left without homes due to the fire.

My friend Kim is amazing. She went up to Middletown to help care for the fire victims. While up there, she came across two kitties that were very badly burned. Both kitties have received extensive veterinary treatment, and have a long way to go. They may need homes in the future, but for now, they are recovering at their foster homes.

Kim asked me to share her story and the story of these kittens in hopes that we can make a difference in their lives:

“The Northern California Valley Fires of September 2015 ravaged most of Butte and Cobb counties.  Many families were evacuated, many homes were destroyed, many lives were forever changed. These fires have drawn an abundance of nationwide media attention and the area was declared a national emergency.  What has been grossly overlooked in the national media coverage are all the injured and displaced animals affected by these fires.

On the weekend of September 19th 2015, several veterinary staff registered with the California Veterinary Medical Relief Corps drove for several hours up to Middeltown, California to volunteer their services for the weekend and help care for some of the animals that had been victimized by the blaze.
IMG_3976
Upon arrival at the animal hospital, it was immediately apparent that there was plenty to do. They were surrounded by so many afflicted animals.  Their injuries and illnesses varied from third degree burns, to severe respiratory distress from smoke inhalation, gastrointestinal illnesses from contaminated water, all the way to parvovirus and distemper from the fire spreading disease by burning through otherwise inaccessible areas.
After spending the weekend working on so many fur-baby fire victims, it became apparent to the volunteers that there were 2 cases in particular that required 24-hour medical care and specific treatments that went beyond what the animal hospital in Middletown could provide because they weren’t a 24-hour clinic.
IMG_3985
IMG_3983
Both of these “cases” were kittens, not more than 3 months old.  One little siamese girl, and one all black domestic short-haired boy that the volunteers had grown quite attached to, and it was decided that they would be brought back to the Dublin location of SAGE Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Centers.
IMG_3982
IMG_3979
IMG_3984
IMG_3986
The siamese, now named Phoenix, had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on all 4 of her paws, her ears, her face, and her tail.  All her fur had been singed, and she was in need of 24-hour care, including daily sedation and bandage changes, surgical debridement of the dead tissue so new tissue could take its place, and constant round-the-clock pain control.
IMG_3974
IMG_3978
IMG_3977
IMG_3978-2
IMG_3981
IMG_3980
The little black short-haired boy, now named Coal, had 3rd degree burns on all 4 of his paws, he was extremely dehydrated and malnourished, and was too sick to eat or drink on his own.  He too needed 24-hour care including IV fluids (administered through an IV catheter in his jugular vein because he was too dehydrated to have one in his little arm), round-the-clock pain control, daily bandage changes, and daily blood work to make sure his little internal organs were strong enough to continue to produce the things he needed to heal.
Both of these kittens have found foster homes with nurses from SAGE Veterinary Centers, and although they are both thriving and healing well, they will still need daily care for weeks (and possibly months) to come.
Please help these two Valley Fire victims by contributing donations to fund their medical care.  Whatever you can spare would be greatly appreciated.  The smallest amount collectively makes a HUGE difference!”
If you are able to help these kittens, please click here to make a donation for their veterinary care:
From the bottom of our hearts we thank you for your help and support!

Pawesome Cats
    October 2, 2015 at 1:13 am

Those poor kitties – that’s just heartbreaking! I hope they receive the medical care and support they need.

Fredrieka Sweetpaws
    October 2, 2015 at 2:58 am

heart breaking

Cathy Armato
    October 2, 2015 at 5:14 am

Oh these poor kitties, I’m so glad they were saved. I hope they will recover fully and find loving homes. It’s awful that many animals suffer so greatly during disasters like this. It’s so important to include pets in disaster planning so they don’t get lost or try to flee out of fear.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them
    Cathy Armato recently posted…Meet My Friend, Stone KittyMy Profile

Spencer the Goldendoodle
    October 2, 2015 at 8:02 am

Oh my, poor things! Wish them a speedy recovery and loving, forever homes!

October 2, 2015 at 8:03 am

This is so extremely sad. I hope they make a full recovery. People often forget the impact disasters like this have on the pets because the losses are so devastating. Thanks for bringing it to the forefront.
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…My Dogs Found the OracleMy Profile

Robin
    October 2, 2015 at 1:31 pm

These poor kitties! My heart hurts for these little ones. I will definitely be giving this a share this weekend. I’m thankful that the veterinarians are putting so much love and attention into this.
    Robin recently posted…Wellness TruFood: The Color of Life #TruLoveIsMy Profile

Tenacious Little Terrier
    October 2, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Poor kittens. I’ve had second degree burns before, they’re not pleasant! I hope their recovery goes well.

Maureen Lake
    October 2, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Oh, these poor kitties. I’m so happy to hear they have foster homes and the care they are getting looks amazing. I hope they recover quickly!
    Maureen Lake recently posted…Flower Puppy NamesMy Profile

Carleen Coulter
    October 2, 2015 at 3:39 pm

This just breaks my heart, the poor things! I’ll share this!
    Carleen Coulter recently posted…Lessons From The Febreze School of #PetiquetteMy Profile

Kristen–well minded
    October 2, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Oh my goodness. This breaks my heart. Sharing.
    Kristen–well minded recently posted…healthy dog treats from brothers complete are a hit #sponsored #giveawayMy Profile

j barnaby
    October 3, 2015 at 9:40 am

We salute & honor all the volunteers, Veterinarians, their staff & hospitals/clinics who devoted their time & energies to the victims of he Northern California Valley Fires.

Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady
    October 3, 2015 at 11:55 am

Oh my goodness, this broke my heart 🙁 Those poor little things….
    Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady recently posted…Siberian Husky Frequently Asked Questions – Part 2My Profile

Carol Bryant
    October 4, 2015 at 3:00 pm

This breaks my heart. I am going to share right now.
    Carol Bryant recently posted…Tips to Get Rid of Dog Odors #PetiquetteMy Profile

Beth
    October 4, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Oh my goodness, those poor babies.
    Beth recently posted…Fetching!My Profile

Elizabeth Keene
    October 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm

(I had to speed scroll through the photos, but I read most of the words. Whew.) This is just awful. 🙁 I saw some other burned kittens on a national news site recently, too. I can’t imagine the resources needed to take care of all the poor, injured animals. Thank you to those people and to you for sharing.
    Elizabeth Keene recently posted…[Sound Siren] Special Canine Weather Bulletin…Hurricane Joaquin EditionMy Profile

MattieDog
    October 4, 2015 at 5:59 pm

We are working with animals impacted by da WA state fires, so we understand; and yes, it is horrible and sad and heartbreaking. We will share and help spread da word – and donate a little pocket money!

Annette @PetsAreFound
    October 4, 2015 at 8:47 pm

So sorry to see this, poor little kittens. Sharing to Twitter & Tumblr etc to help. Will keep an eye out for updates. Thanks for sharing their story. Annette x

Kimberly
    October 5, 2015 at 7:43 am

Heartbreaking. Just donated and shared.
    I really hope they make a full recovery and find loving homes

Ryan
    October 5, 2015 at 7:44 am

That’s so horrible! Get better fast, kitties. 🙁
    Ryan recently posted…Introduction to the Pinnacle Brand #PinnacleHealthyPetsMy Profile

Kama
    October 5, 2015 at 8:39 am

Oh god, this is horrible. Those poor babies. I hope they make a full recovery.
    Kama recently posted…5 Tips to Eliminate Pet Odors – Lessons in #PetiquetteMy Profile