Many pet parents might be unfamiliar with the Global Pet Expo. Each year, pet experts, industry influencers, and pet professionals get together to identify the newest trends in the Pet Industry. Some of you may be thinking, does the Pet Industry grow enough to justify a conference each year? The answer is YES!
In 2001, the Pet Industry Market size was $28.5 Billion dollars. Current 2017 statistics predict that this years market size will be around $69.36 Billion. That’s just under 2.5 times the size of the market in 2001! (American Pet Products Association) Of course, this trend makes a lot of sense. Each year pets become a greater part of the family, and it’s no wonder we are spending more in the pet industry.
Petcurean attended the Global Pet Expo this year, and they were nice enough to share with us some trends they identified!
Global Pet Expo Trends 2017
- Limited Ingredient Diets: With the incidence of food sensitivities on the rise amongst dogs and cats, pet owners are looking for limited ingredient diets which can greatly reduce the chance of food sensitivity. GO! by Petcurean, is a complete, nutrient-packed food with zero added growth hormones, by-products, or artificial preservatives, offering a single source of meat protein with as few ingredients as possible to meet the nutritional requirements of dogs and cats. GO! is available in 3 solutions-based categories for dogs and cats with issues: Grain Free recipes, Limited Ingredient Diet recipes, and Preventative Care recipes.
- To me, this trend comes as no surprise. There have been several food-related trends in recent years, which have encouraged people to learn more about their own food. That being said, I am excited to see more high-quality diets produced for pets. Have you tried any Limited Ingredient Diets? If so, which types of diets have worked best for your pets?
- Pet Tech: If you aren’t familiar with the term “pet tech,” expect that to change. This year at Global Pet Expo there were a growing number of pet products that integrate technology in a variety of ways including activity trackers, video monitors, and interactive toys. From the Flitter cat toy, which has an automatic teaser toy with two plastic dragonflies that fly around and around, enticing cats to catch them, to iFetch, an automatic ball launcher that provides endless fun for your pooch – interactive toys are a great option for pet owners on the go or with extra active pets.
- In Silicon Valley, there are a lot of Pet Tech companies emerging and growing. Not to mention the increase in pet tech startup funding. Once again, this is a trend that very much so mimics the trends we see in our own lives. As we become more and more dependent on technology, we are looking for solutions that include our pets as well. What Pet Tech products have you tried?
- Transparency & Clean labels: As Millennials increasingly expect sustainability, transparency and organic ingredients in their food, more consumers seek to feed their pets with the same standards of quality and excellence that they choose for themselves. Expect to see an increase in products with fewer ingredients, less preservatives, and certifications in the years to come. Petcurean’s GATHER pet food line is crafted from certified, organic, non-GMO and sustainably produced ingredients. Each recipe is free from rendered or genetically engineered ingredients and features a single source, fresh and dehydrated primary protein.
- I have certainly become more label conscious in recent years. I am always looking for fewer, more recognizable ingredients on all of my purchases. What do you look for on labels?
- Pet Cooling Products: Now your pet can beat the heat! There were several pet cooling mats, apparel, and bedding products showcased this year, all designed to keep your pet cool during the hot summer months. Scruffs Cool Dog Mat is filled with a non-toxic gel that keeps the self-cooling mat typically 5-10 degrees cooler than room temperature. Gen7Pets Cool-Air Cot pet bed combines portable convenience, outdoor durability, and pet-friendly comfort perfect for camping or the backyard!
- This is the trend I am most excited about! Heat exhaustion has affected too many pets in past years. And I am really excited to see companies creating solutions! Have you used any cooling products? If so, do you feel they helped your dog?
I am giving away 1 bag of Petcurean Spike treats from Chewy.com. All you have to do is answer the questions in bold (above) in the comments below!
Disclaimer: I am a Petcurean blogger and a Chewy.com influencer. I was provided with food and compensation so that Rooney and I could provide our honest opinion. However, My Kid Has Paws only shares reviews we believe benefit our readers. Additionally, Petcurean is the food we feed Rooney every day.